“Oh, it’s a tremendous challenge for (defensive coordinators),” Edmonds said, via Bob McManaman of AZ Central. “Obviously, we all see Kyler’s playmaking abilities with his legs. The best compliment I can give Kyler about his running abilities is he knows how to not take hits. I think he had 13 carries and I think he got tackled one time on Sunday.”
Cardinals HC Kliff Kingsbury also praised Murray’s “instinctual” ability to avoid hits and run with the football.
“For him, it’s instinctual and it’s been practiced for however many years he’s played football,” Kingsbury said. “He’s been the smallest guy on the field so he’s learned self-preservation at a level that I’ve never seen on a football field. His ability to feel things, get down, protect himself is really unique, but it’s been practiced his entire football career and he takes pride in that. He makes sure he gets what he gets, gets down, and he knows how valuable he’s been to his football team over his career and he knows he can’t take any extra hits.”
- ESPN’s Bill Barnwell notes Cardinals first-round LB Isaiah Simmons played just 18 snaps in Sunday’s game against the 49ers and that’s because he was picked on when he was in the game.
- Simmons had a 15-yard unnecessary roughness penalty and appeared to give up two touchdowns in coverage, one long one to RB Raheem Mostert and another on near the goal line to RB Jerick McKinnon.
- When comparing 49ers QB Jimmy Garoppolo‘s struggles during Week 1 and at the beginning of last year, Matt Barrows of The Athletic points out that Garappolo carried a quarterback rating of 90.76 in late-October which rose to 102 after they acquired WR Emmanuel Sanders.
- 49ers HC Kyle Shanahan said first-round WR Brandon Aiyuk (hamstring) could play in Week 2.
- Barrows notes the 49ers could promote WRs Jauan Jennings, River Cracraft, or Kevin White for Week 2.
- Barrows could see White getting the call up for Week 2 given he’s fast and similar build to WR Deebo Samuel, who is on injured reserve.
- Barrows was surprised the 49ers did not utilize TE Jordan Reed more with their injury situation at receiver.
- 49ers CB Ahkello Witherspoon (concussion) practiced in a non-contact jersey which gives him a chance of clearing the protocol in time for Sunday’s game. (Barrows)
- Seahawks HC Pete Carroll said he hopes to improve the rotation of players on the defensive line for veterans Benson Mayowa and Bruce Irvin: “I don’t want them to play that much.” (John Boyle)