- According to Albert Breer, Cowboys DC Rod Marinelli appears to be on thin ice in Dallas, due in part to his inability to make adjustments on a game-to-game basis.
- Breer could see the Cowboys targeting a deep-threat receiver this offseason and possibly adding some more offensive line depth.
Update: The Giants officially hired Dave Gettleman as their new GM Thursday. (NFLTR)
Jordan Raanan of ESPN takes a look at some of the names to watch for the Giants’ head coaching vacancy in the coming weeks.
- According to Raanan, Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels and Panthers defensive coordinator Steve Wilks are considered the “favorites” for the job, depending on which way the team elects to go with their GM hire.
- Raanan mentions that if the Giants bring in either Patriots personnel executive Nick Caserio or ESPN’s Louis Riddick, McDaniels is the guy to watch.
- However, should they go with Dave Gettleman, the odds of the Giants hiring Wilks increase.
- Some other names worth monitoring, according to Raanan, include Patriots defensive coordinator Matt Patricia, Chiefs offensive coordinator Matt Nagy and Texans defensive coordinator Mike Vrabel among others.
- Giants interim coach Steve Spagnuolo announced Wednesday that rookie QB Davis Webb practiced with the second team today and will be the No. 2 quarterback this weekend. (Ralph Vacchiano)
- Raanan says that the Giants CB Eli Apple‘s suspension makes him an attractive trade candidate since his contract is no longer guaranteed.
- According to Rob Demovsky of ESPN, Packers OT Jason Spriggs‘ injury is a dislocated left kneecap and will not require surgery after initially fearing he sustained a torn ACL.
- Spriggs is expected to be fully recovered for the start of OTAs in the spring.
- Albert Breer isn’t ruling out salary cap executive Russ Ball as a potential successor to Packers GM Ted Thompson, even though Brian Gutekunst and Eliot Wolf have both been popular GM candidates.
- Breer says that this could be it for Packers DC Dom Capers.
- Rams HC Sean McVay indicated that QB Jared Goff and RB Todd Gurley will not play in Week 17. (Alden Gonzalez)
- McVay also said that DT Aaron Donald, LT Andrew Whitworth, and C John Sullivan will not play. (Alden Gonzalez)
- Gonzalez adds that Rams QB Sean Mannion will start in place of Goff, while RB Malcolm Brown will likely receive the “bulk” of carries in Week 17.
- McVay told reporters that Rams WR Cooper Kupp has been playing with a knee injury and that he aggravated it during Week 16’s game. (Alden Gonzalez)
Looking for the latest NFL Insider News & Rumors?
Be sure to follow NFL Trade Rumors on TWITTER and FACEBOOK for breaking NFL News and Rumors for all 32 teams!