- According to Jeremy Fowler and Dan Graziano, former Bengals HC Marvin Lewis should not be discounted for the Lions’ head-coaching vacancy, as Detroit’s brass came away “very impressed” with him.
- Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press mentions that Lions’ interim HC Darrell Bevell received “really good feedback” from his recent interview with the team.
The Packers are resting WR Davante Adams due to the fact that they have a first-round bye and HC Matt LaFleur said there is no reason for concern.
“Yeah, it’s just rest,” LaFleur said, via Pro Football Talk. “He’s been getting treatment and getting some conditioning in. But no reservations there.”
- The Packers are bringing in DB Nate Brooks and RB Cameron Scarlett for workouts this week. (Aaron Wilson)
- According to Jeremy Fowler and Dan Graziano, this might actually be the year that Vikings assistant GM George Paton takes a GM job with another team after years of turning down opportunities.
- ESPN mentions that Paton has a “strong connection” to the Lions after working for Chris Spielman‘s brother, Vikings GM Rick Spielman, for several years.
- Paton has also interviewed for the Broncos’ GM vacancy and his nephew is a scout for the team.
- ESPN reports that if Gary Kubiak follows through and retires as some expect, Hue Jackson is worth watching as a candidate for their offensive coordinator position. Jackson previously worked with Zimmer while they were together in Cincinnati.
- An internal candidate for the job is Kubiak’s son, Klint.
- Dom Capers spoke about his departure from the Vikings after just one season as a senior defensive assistant: “It was a mutual decision, sitting down discussing things, my role at this point and so, hey, after having 25 years of being either a head coach or a coordinator I guess you get to this point, so, yeah. it was mutual.” (Chris Tomasson)
- Capers seems unsure if he would have returned to Minnesota and doesn’t know if the team even wanted him back: “Well, we never even got into that because my contract ended.’’ (Tomasson)
- Capers doesn’t know if he will ever coach again at this point in his storied career: “I’m going to take a little time and kind of step away from and look at what the next step is whether I retire or whether I consult or help or whatever. One thing I learned a long time ago is you never say never.” (Tomasson)
- With the Vikings’ defense underperforming this season, Capers commented on the situation: “There were a number of years that there was pretty good continuity with a group of talented players (who left)… A combination of that along with… not having a normal offseason and normal preseason (hampered young players).” (Tomasson)
Looking for the latest NFL Insider News & Rumors?
Be sure to follow NFL Trade Rumors on TWITTER and FACEBOOK for breaking NFL News and Rumors for all 32 teams!
Pride of Detroit links Fitzpatrick to the Lions .
Thier editor using a source proven wrong before standz behind it.