- Per Eduardo Encina of the Tampa Bay Times, Buccaneers HC Bruce Arians called both RB Ronald Jones and WR Mike Evans “day-to-day” with injuries.
- Both missed practice Monday. Jones had a knee injury from the second preseason game, while Evans picked up a quad injury in Sunday’s practice.
- Evans likely won’t play in the third preseason game per Arians, while Jones still could: “We have a few more days. I think Ronald is probably going to be OK. I’m not sure about Mike.”
- According to ESPN’s Vaughn McClure, Falcons first-round OT Kaleb McGary will return to individual drills this week.
- McGary has been sidelined following a heart procedure a couple weeks ago.
- Falcons G James Carpenter will also return to practice, per HC Dan Quinn, after missing a couple of weeks due to injury. (Kelsey Conway)
- Quinn added there’s no timetable for a full return to practice for McGary. (Conway)
- Newly-signed Falcons QB Danny Etling will remain at quarterback after switching to wide receiver with the Patriots in an effort to stick to the roster. (McClure)
Few players have generated as much training camp buzz as Panthers WR Curtis Samuel. Samuel has been so impressive during training camp that he’s overshadowed his running mate to some extent, 2018 first-round WR D.J. Moore, who had the second-most receiving yards of any rookie last year. Headed into 2019, the team is understandably excited about the potential of both.
“I think Curtis, D.J. Moore, I think those guys don’t have ceilings,” Panthers HC Ron Rivera said via the Charlotte Observer’s Brendan Marks. “I think those guys can become really, really good players. I’m excited to watch them keep developing.”
- In the latest 53-man roster prediction from the Athletic’s Joseph Person, some notable cuts include QB Taylor Heinicke, DE Bryan Cox Jr., CB Kevon Seymour, RB Elijah Holyfield and K Joey Slye.
- Person says Heinicke could continue to make things interesting at backup quarterback, as he outplayed both Kyle Allen and third-round rookie Will Grier in Carolina’s second preseason game.
- Person adds that Slye could stick around if K Graham Gano is still bothered by the knee injury that has been sidelining him.
- Rivera says Gano won’t kick this week with the idea of having him ramp up by Week 4 of the preseason: “Everything we’re going to do with him is going to be built up next week, and expect him to start swinging the leg and kicking the ball. And just see how he is. Hopefully, he’s rested up and the soreness is gone.” (Person)
- Panthers QB Cam Newton, LB Luke Kuechly, RB Christian McCaffrey and TE Greg Olsen will play in the team’s Week 3 preseason game against the Patriots. (Max Henson)