- Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer writes that second-year WR Christian Kirk has been impressive during Cardinals OTA’s and could keep himself ahead of the three other wide receivers the Cardinals drafted.
- Breer adds WR Damiere Byrd has made plays during OTA’s and has put himself in the conversation for a roster spot.
Even after setting a record for most receiving yardage for a tight end in NFL history, the 49ers don’t think they’ve seen the best out of TE George Kittle yet.
“His footwork, getting in and out of breaks, certain routes that he really, in my mind, struggles getting in and out of his break to be clean with it,” TE coach John Embree said via NBC Sports’ Jennifer Lee Chan. “His weight, he has a tendency to lean back a little bit so just working on those things in certain routes to help him try to continue to take the next step. He left a lot on the field between drops and he and Jimmy [Garoppolo] not connecting. So yeah, he can do a lot more. He could do a lot more and not have the same numbers too.”
Even if Kittle can’t replicate the production he had in 2018, the attention he’ll draw will free up other members of the offense this year.
“But also, if he’s going to get that kind of attention, then we can get George as a decoy and get other people open and when they get open that will loosen people up and keep them in one-on-one match ups,” Embree said.
Per Matt Maiocco, the 49ers announced a number of moves in the personnel department, including:
- Promotions for Salli Clavelle, Travis Dauro and Crowley Hanlon.
- Dominic DeCicco to West area scout.
- Additions of Fred Gammage III, Ryan Kessenich and Steve Slowik to the personnel department.
After being taken in the first round by the Seahawks last year, RB Rashaad Penny didn’t quite have the rookie season he was hoping for.
“It was frustrating for me as a rookie,” Penny said via John Boyle of the official team site. “I didn’t know how to take it. I’ve never been hurt playing football in my life, so when that happened, I just hit a wall. I’m glad that I’ve grown up. Over these past months and this offseason, I’ve just started taking everything seriously by treating helped me was losing all that extra weight. Now I feel better. I don’t have all those nagging injuries. I’m at my best.”