Home 49ers NFL News & Rumors: 49ers, Jets, Eagles, Giants, Favre
- The San Francisco 49ers have made the decision to go with Troy Smith as their quarterback for Sunday’s game against the Denver Broncos which will be played in London. “I think for where we are, I think Troy Smith gives us a good opportunity to win games” said 49ers head coach Mike Singletary, per Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee. David Carr has been the teams No 2 quarterback this season so the move is a bit surprising.
- Philadelphia’s defensive meltdown last weekend against the Tennessee Titans could trigger a coaching change on the defensive side of the ball. ESPN’s Sal Paolantonio commented on the situation by saying, “it comes down to the defensive coordinator,” Paolantonio said. “He has some kind of brainlock or whatever it is — lack of judgment, inability to make adjustments on the fly. The head coach was covering for him this week [in a press conference], you heard that.” Andy Reid could look to Dick Jauron to try to stabilize the teams defense and remove Sean McDermott of his duties.
- Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News provide some comments from Jets cornerback Antonio Cromartie that suggested that the team could alternate Cromartie and Darrelle Revis‘s assignments throughout the game instead of having one of them lined up against the opposing teams best wideout.
- It’s official, the New York Giants will be without Mathias Kiwanuka for the remainder of the 2010 season. Mike Garafolo of the Newark Star-Ledger is reporting that the Giants placed him on IR which will end his season. This is a definite loss for the Giants who had been using Kiwanuka at linebacker as well as on the defensive line. They have signed Will Blackman today to take his place on their roster.
- Brett Favre has removed his boot and expects to practice on Friday. “I wouldn’t put anything past me, to be honest with you,” Favre said, via Tom Pelissero of ESPN1500.com. Brad Childress has already said that he would consider sitting Favre even if he is able to on Sunday. As of now it appears that Favre is making progress which makes it hard to rule him out for this weekends game.