- Pete Thamel of Yahoo Sports reports that 49ers DBs coach Jeff Hafley will replace Greg Schiano as Ohio State’s co-defensive coordinator.
- Nick Wagoner mentions former Falcons DC Marquand Manuel as a speculative option to replace Hafley, given that he worked with Kyle Shanahan in Atlanta.
The Chargers employed a seven-defensive back package during Sunday’s win over the Ravens.
Chargers HC Anthony Lynn admitted that they were “scared to death” about going with seven DBs against a run-heavy team, but knew having more speed on defense could pay off for them.
“We were scared to death,” Lynn said, TheMMQB.com. “We knew that it was going to put speed in the box. I know you can get in and out of that [personnel grouping] and have success, because we’ve done it before. But to live in it for a whole game was something we had never done. We were certainly prepared to go big if we had to. But going small, it just proved, going up against a quarterback like Lamar, speed in the box, it helps.
“What was so impressive was how those young men held up inside on the downhill runs. Our defensive linemen, we put a lot on them. We told them, this week, ‘We’re gonna make you strain, and it’s going to take more effort.’ And they did it.”
- Seahawks HC Pete Carroll mentioned they’ve “been talking to Frank [Clark]’s people for some time now… We plan on Frank being with us.” (John Boyle)
- As for impending free agent LB K.J. Wright, Carroll said: “We’d love to have K.J. back with us. That’s one of the many (contract) issues.“(Curtis Crabtree)
- According to Carroll, they would love to have S Earl Thomas back and it’s one of the issues they need to work out this offseason. (Bob Condotta)
- Carroll also said of potentially re-signing starting guards J.R. Sweezy and D.J. Fluker: “We’d love to keep those guys with us. We’d love to do that.” (John Boyle)
- Carroll doesn’t anticipate any major changes to the Seahawks’ coaching staff. (Brady Henderson)
Looking for the latest NFL Insider News & Rumors?
Be sure to follow NFL Trade Rumors on TWITTER and FACEBOOK for breaking NFL News and Rumors for all 32 teams!