- James Walker gives sixth-round WR Jakeem Grant a 70-percent chance of making the Dolphins’ 53-man roster.
All indications have been that Wilkerson will end up playing out the 2016 season under the franchise tag and hope to secure a long-term contract as an unrestricted free agent in 2017.
However, Slater mentions that the Jets could elect to use their franchise tag on Wilkerson again next year, despite the fact that this would come with a 20 percent raise.
Doing so would cost the Jets around $18.841 million fully guaranteed, which is a fairly substantial salary for a defensive lineman. Slater mentions that this huge figure may not as big of an obstacle as it appears, considering that the salary cap is expected to increase again next year.
As of now, OverTheCap.com projects the Jets to have just over $21 million in available cap space, which could make it hard to justify this kind of salary for Wilkerson.
- Ian Rapoport reports that UC Irvine and the Rams have agreed to a three-year deal to have training camp on campus, starting in 2016.
- Rapoport adds that the camp will be free for fans on UCI’s Crawford Field.
- Nick Underhill of the Advocate considers Brandin Cooks, Willie Snead and second-round WR Michael Thomas to be locks to make the Saints’ 53-man roster with Brandon Coleman being a “good bet.”
- This leaves Vincent Brown, R.J. Harris, Tommylee Lewis, Kyle Prater, Reggie Bell, Jared Dangerfield, Jake Lampman and Jordan Williams-Lambert competing for one or two spots at most, considering that New Orleans has carried just four receivers in recent years. .