“There will be good and worthy debates about Mayfield leading up to the draft, and some skeptics will point to his lack of size and off-field issues,” Jeremiah writes. “I believe he’s accurate, a good decision maker and ultra-competitive — those are three great traits in a league that’s light on starting-caliber quarterbacks. Mayfield is worth the risk.”
- Oklahoma OT Orlando Brown announced on social media Wednesday that he is entering the 2018 NFL Draft.
- Bruce Feldman reports that 49ers assistant DL coach Vince Oghobaase has been hired by UCLA to become their new defensive line coach.
- Todd Archer writes that most of the Cowboys’ projected $19.3 million of cap space will be gone after they either sign DE DeMarcus Lawrence to a long-term extension or use their franchise tag on him.
- According to Archer, it’s “reasonable to assume” the Cowboys will use a second-round tender on RFA David Irving, which will run them around $3 million.
- If the Cowboys look to restructure some contracts for cap room, Archer lists LT Tryon Smith, C Travis Frederick and LB Sean Lee as obvious candidates along with K Dan Bailey and TE Jason Witten.
- Archer believes WR Dez Bryant is a candidate for a pay cut, given that his production hasn’t come close to what they’re paying him. Releasing Bryant would free up $8.5M of cap room and designating him as a post-June 1 release improves that figure to $12 million.
- The Cowboys could pick up $5M or more by signing G Zack Martin to a long-term extension, which is believed to be a priority for the team.
- Potential roster cuts, according to Archer, include Orlando Scandrick, James Hanna and Benson Mayowa.
- During Thursday’s press conference, Packers HC Mike McCarthy said that he’s very comfortable with his job security and more focused on who will be the team’s next GM: “I’m more focused on the fit of the GM. Fit is a two-way street. It has to fit together.” (Michael Cohen)
- According to McCarthy, QB Aaron Rodgers will have input in regards to some of the changes being made: “I clearly understand where Aaron is in his career, the magnitude of what he brings to our organization. But it would be ignorant to put any of these changes on him.” (Ryan Wood)
- Although, McCarthy did say that he will still call plays going forward. (Wes Hodkiewicz)
- McCarthy said that backup QB Brett Hundley did some good things but should have been more prepared to step in for Rodgers: “I think lot of good things Brett did. A lot of things highlighted and blown out of proportion that didn’t go right. He made significant improvement. I felt he should have been better prepared for the situation. But once he got his opportunity, he maxed out.” (Tom Silverstein)
- When asked about the decision to fire DC Dom Capers, McCarthy said: “This year I feel I have to go outside and add external resources.” (Michael Cohen)
- McCarthy confirmed that Winston Moss, Joe Whitt and Darren Perry are all internal candidates for their defensive coordinator vacancy. (Ryan Wood)
- According to McCarthy, defensive quality control coach Tim McGarigle and QBs coach Alex Van Pelt will both pursue other opportunities. (Wes Hodkiewicz)