Veteran free agent FB Mike Tolbert said that he’s excited about his future and already working on his next opportunity.
i’ve got some things in the works,” Tolbert told Josina Anderson of ESPN. “I’m excited about the future and I’m ready to play where I’m needed.”
- Alex Marvez reports that the Bears are hiring former 49ers ST coach Derious Swinton II as an assistant special teams coach.
- The Bears have hired Zach Azzanni as their new wide receivers coach. (Adam Rittenberg)
- Adam Caplan reports that the Bears are hiring Brandon Staley as OLBs coach.
- Ralph Vacchiano mentions five possible free agent options for the Giants’ offensive tackle position, including the Bengals’ Andrew Whitworth, Ravens’ Ricky Wagner, free agent Kelvin Beachum, Jets’ Ryan Clady, and the Lions’ Riley Reiff.
- Mike Jones of the Washington Post, citing sources familiar with Redskins’ situation with Kirk Cousins, says there is “no reason” to expect a long-term extension for Cousins prior to the March 1 franchise tag deadline.
- If the Redskins are unable to come to a long-term agreement with Cousins, Jones could see the team using the transition tag next offseason, which would pay at least $28 million and allow Washington to match any offer he receives from other teams.
- However, Jones also writes that it would make sense for the Redskins to franchise tag Cousins and attempt to trade him for draft pick compensation.
- Jones does not believe the fate of HC Jay Gruden and Cousins are tied to each other, he could see negotiating with Cousins becoming much tougher if Gruden is on the hot seat after 2017.