Quarterbacks seem to be the hot topic today. Here’s a collection of the days quarterback news stories.
- The Miami Dolphins have benched Chad Henne in favor of Chad Pennington, per Mike Berardino of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.
- Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain-Dealer reports that Seneca Wallace returned to practice on Wednesday but that Colt McCoy was given 3/4 of the teams first team snaps which is an earlier indication that he will start against the Jets.
- The Dallas Cowboys placed defensive end Marcus Spears and rookie safety Akwasi Owusu-Ansah on injured reserve today. The interesting thing is that Tony Romo has yet to placed on IR which may suggest that the team is hoping to have him return this season.
- San Francisco 49ers head coach Mike Singletary announced that Troy Smith will start against the St Louis Rams by saying, “If Alex was healthy, I think right now he’d still be the quarterback.”
- ESPN’s Adam Schefter tweets that Shawn Hill will get the start for the Detroit Lions after losing Matthew Stafford indefinitely.
- The Carolina Panthers have announced that Jimmy Clausen will start week 10’s game against the Tampa Bay Buc’s.
- Steve Corkran of the Oakland Tribune reports that Raiders owner Al Davis extended his support for Jason Campbell today by saying, “Mr. Davis likes what Jason has done the past month and doesn’t see the need to change when things are going well,” a person familiar with the situation said, per Corkran. “He thinks Jason is a classic fit for the Raiders style of play.”
- Danny O’Neil of the Seattle Times writes that Matt Hasselbeck is likely to return this week and should start against Arizona on Sunday.