Mike Mayock of NFL Media held a press conference Tuesday offering some of his opinions regarding this year’s draft class ahead of the Combine. Here are some notes from his session with the media:
- Mayock thinks the Titans would love to trade out of No. 1 overall, and believes the difference between OTs Laremy Tunsil and Ronnie Stanley isn’t all that great. (CFB 24/7)
- According to Mayock, had Notre Dame LB Jaylon Smith not hurt his knee, “he’d be in conversation for No. 1 overall pick.”(CFB 24/7)
- Regarding QBs Jared Goff and Carson Wentz, Mayock said: “I think Jared Goff is more polished. I think Carson Wentz has more significant upside.” (CFB 24/7)
- Mayock adds that he believes Carson Wentz has ceiling similar to Andrew Luck. (CFB 24/7)
- Mayock believes Connor Cook as first-round physical talent, but still wonders why he wasn’t voted a team captain at Michigan State. (CFB 24/7)
- Mayock said that if it wasn’t for inconsistency on the field and off-field issues, Ole Miss DT Robert Nkemdiche would be in conversation for the No. 1 overall pick. (CFB 24/7)
- Mayock believes Ezekiel Elliott will probably be the only first-round running back this year, and added teams “will either love Derrick Henry or not like him very much.”(CFB 24/7)
- As for some potential targets for the Jaguars at No. 5 overall, Mayock mentioned DB Jalen Ramsey, DE Joey Bosa, and CB Vernon Hargreaves. (CFB 24/7)
- Mayock compares Ole Miss WR Laquon Treadwell to Alshon Jeffery. (CFB 24/7)
- Mayock can see the Raiders targeting a defensive back or highest-rated offensive lineman at No. 14 overall. (CFB 24/7)
- It it was up to Mayock, he’d have a quarterback as his No. 1 draft priority for the Eagles. (CFB 24/7)
- Mayock has Ohio State LB Darron Lee as a top 20-32 talent. (CFB 24/7)
- Mayock considers Arizona LB Scooby Wright a third-round pick. (CFB 24/7)
- According to Kent Somers, the Cardinals are not interested in bringing veteran CB Antonio Cromartie back following his recent release.
Jaguars DE Dante Fowler released statement regarding the video that surfaced showing a fight between his girlfriend and the mother of his child in Florida.
“I am embarrassed and have apologized for my actions to everyone involved,” Fowler said. “As a family, we have been dealing with this moment and the conflict that led to it since this occurred. The video surfacing is a sad reminder that emotions got the best of all of us. I take 100 percent responsibility for everything that happened.”
Rich Cimini of ESPN offers some Jets’ players who could be on the chopping block in the coming weeks.
- Cimini’s list includes: TE Jeff Cumberland, WR Jeremy Kerley, RT Breno Giacomini, and K Nick Folk.
- Releasing all of these players would net the Jets $9.775 million available cap space.