- The Athletic’s Jeff Howe expects the Patriots to target the best offensive tackle, tight end or defensive lineman with their first-round pick at No. 32 overall.
- Some candidates Howe mentions include Clemson DT Dexter Lawrence, Mississippi State DT Jeffery Simmons, Alabama TE Irv Smith Jr., TCU DE L.J. Collier, Georgia DE D’Andre Walker or Ole Miss OT Greg Little.
- Howe says the Patriots’ willingness to let Trent Brown leave in free agency suggests they’re trusting last year’s first-round pick, Isaiah Wynn, to slide to right tackle.
- Howe lists several defensive end options for the Patriots in the second round, including Michigan’s Chase Winovich, Louisiana Tech’s Jaylon Ferguson, Florida’s Jachai Polite, Iowa’s Anthony Nelson or Boston College’s Zach Allen.
- Howe writes the Patriots could consider Texas A&M’s Jace Sternberger, San Diego State’s Kahale Warring, Ole Miss’ Dawson Knox, Stanford’s Kaden Smith or San Jose State’s Josh Oliver to fill their need at tight end.
- If the Patriots want insurance for Wynn at tackle, Washington’s Kaleb McGary or Alabama State’s Tytus Howard could be options.
- Howe says the Patriots could try to trade picks this year for picks in 2020 to try and build ammunition to move up for a quarterback.
- Howe believes the Patriots should still take a quarterback this year to try and develop like Jacoby Brissett and Jimmy Garoppolo or try and swing a deal for Cardinals QB Josh Rosen.
- Though wide receiver is arguably the Patriots’ biggest need, Howe doesn’t think they’ll use their first-round pick, instead focusing on the position in the second through fourth rounds.
- Jason La Canfora wouldn’t be surprised if the Patriots drafted Buffalo QB Tyree Jackson on Friday.
Looking for the latest NFL Insider News & Rumors?
Be sure to follow NFL Trade Rumors on TWITTER and FACEBOOK for breaking NFL News and Rumors for all 32 teams!