Broncos HC Vic Fangio believes their system will help OLB Von Miller improve better than he already is.
“I think he’s got more to give. I think we can make him a better player. He’s got to make himself be a better player,” said Fangio, via Nicki Jhabvala. “Let me rephrase that: With us guiding him and being a resource for him, I think he has more in him that he can even be better and better. He is a guy that should be in the mention for player of the year award and stuff like that. If we can get him to improve to do all the little things correctly, not that he hasn’t in the past, but improve it and just become a little bit better. With a guy with his talent level, a little bit ends up being a lot. I am very excited, loved working with him up to this point. He has been very receptive and I’m looking forward to the season with him.”
When making his decision to sign with the Broncos, undrafted free agent LB Ahmad Gooden didn’t just look at the bottom of the depth chart in Denver, where the backup linebacker spots are wide open following the departure of Shane Ray and Shaquil Barrett. He looked at the players at the top he could learn from, in this case Von Miller and Bradley Chubb.
“Ultimately, those are two of the best in the league right now,” Gooden said via Ryan O’Halloran of the Denver Post. “That was another big thing on my mind when it was time to make a decision, that I could pick their brains and they would elevate my game.”
- Broncos TE Troy Fumagalli was a full participant in practice Sunday after missing Saturday with a hip injury. (Ryan O’Halloran)
- Broncos WR River Cracraft pulled an upper-body muscle during practice Saturday. (Mike Klis)
- Denver gave TE Jake Butt a day off practice as they continue to ease him into action. (Jhabvala)
- Broncos rookie LB Justin Hollins is also dealing with a hamstring injury.
- Broncos OC Rich Scangarello says he’s been impressed with OT Elijah Wilkinson during the early portion of training camp. (Jhabvala)
- Scangarello added first-round TE Noah Fant has been impressive: “One of the things I think was undervalued with him ahead of the draft is I think he’s an excellent run-blocker.” (Jhabvala)
“It will not be a distraction,” Landry said, via Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer. “Our focus is pretty clear. We want to win a championship and the guys that are here, that’s going to help us do that. We start on Thursday. Let’s get it done.”
“We ran routes pretty much the whole week leading up until Mayfield’s wedding,’’ said Landry. “We had the whole group there.”
Colts LT Anthony Castonzo was about his contract situation as enters the final year of his current deal.
“That would be great. Obviously, anytime you can be under contract and feeling good about it, that’s always good. I have confidence,” Castonzo said, per Kevin Bowen. “Basically, I just have to get stuff done on the field and everything else kind of takes care of itself. That’s the mentality I’m in. Like you said, I’m 30. I’m not going into my second contract where I’m super freaking out about, ‘I have to make sure I play or else this, or else that.’ I’m just going to go out there and play the game like I always do and everything else will take care of itself. That’s the way I see it.”