Quarterback is one of the biggest questions for the Colts this offseason, especially after not appearing to engage all that seriously in trade talks for Matthew Stafford. It is an issue the Colts are well aware of, however, and they’ve discussed to Indianapolis legend Peyton Manning to get his evaluations on some of the options they’re considering.
“After Philip retired, I started going, ‘OK, here’s all the quarterbacks who could be out there,’” Colts HC Frank Reich said via Jim Ayello of the Indianapolis Star. “And as we’re talking about who’s going to be our starting quarterback next year, yeah, I called Peyton and asked him his opinion on some of the guys. . . . When you hear from Peyton, it obviously carries a ton of weight. It carries a ton of weight. . . . Whatever percentage of all the other opinions matter, which is a smaller percentage of the overall picture, Peyton’s percentage is going to be higher because of who he is.”
- The Athletic’s Stephen Holder looks at past comparisons to try and gauge what Colts WR T.Y. Hilton‘s market will be this offseason and what his agents will ask for from the Colts or other interested teams.
- Holder estimates it to be around $9 million per year judging by deals for Giants WR Golden Tate, Texans WR Randall Cobb, Bills WR John Brown and Eagles WR DeSean Jackson.
- Colts RB Nyheim Hines says former QB Andrew Luck is not coming out of retirement despite the rumors: “Absolutely not. I don’t see it at all.” (Pro Football Talk)
- Colts assistant Klayton Adams will move from assistant OL coach to TE coach. (Holder)
- CBS Sports’ Jason La Canfora says to keep an eye on the Jaguars as a destination for some of the Ravens’ pending defensive free agents since they have made multiple hires from Baltimore’s defensive coaching staff.
- La Canfora mentions OLBs Matt Judon, Tyus Bowser, Pernell McPhee and DL Jihad Ward. Bowser in particular showed some promise and at just 25 could find a market of $10 million a year.
- Buccaneers RB Leonard Fournette recalled being released by the Jaguars last offseason, saying that Jacksonville gave him no explanation for why he was let go: “It was a tough time for me. Going into work and someone was at the gate saying the coach wanted to see me. They just cut me. There was no explaining it, why, it just happened.” (John Reid)
- Fournette said he needed to take some time for himself in the days after being released by the Jaguars: “It was a terrible feeling. I took a week off. I had to get my mind right and try to understand why it was going on. And also, I took time to chill with my kids.” (Reid)
- The Athletic’s Aaron Reiss says his understanding is Texans QB Deshaun Watson is not returning any of the team’s calls.
- He adds he thinks Watson’s issues with the team date back a while and could have even been present when he signed his extension in September.
- According to the Athletic’s Jeff Zrebiec, Ravens assistant TE coach David Bischoff is expected to join the Texans’ coaching staff.
- Alabama is hiring former Texans TE coach Will Lawing as an offensive analyst. (Aaron Wilson)