Colts backup QB Jacoby Brissett will be a free agent following the 2019 season, and there’s a decent chance he leaves to explore a starting opportunity somewhere else. The Colts have received trade offers and it would make sense to get something for Brissett rather than let him leave for nothing in free agency. But Colts HC Frank Reich has been resolute that Brissett is worth more with the Colts than anywhere else.
“It’s impossible for me to have a higher opinion of Jacoby than I do,” Reich said via Kevin Bowen. “I said it last year, I think he’s a top 20 quarterback. I still say that. After watching him for a year, this guy’s really good. I tell Chris all the time, ‘Please don’t let him go. I don’t care what anybody offers him. Don’t let him go.’ I love Jacoby. The problem is now I’ve gotten to know Jacoby and, at some point, I hope that it works out for Jacoby. But not now.”
- Joel Corry of CBS Sports writes that the Jaguars will be “hard pressed” to get an extension in place for DE Yannick Ngakoue that doesn’t pay him $20 million per year.
- Corry notes that is unlikely to have a lengthy holdout should he skip training camp workouts, given that he needs another year of service time to qualify as an unrestricted free agent next year.
- Jim Wyatt of the Titans official website said Titans sixth-round LB David Long stood out during OTA’s, but is likely headed for a role primarily on special teams as a rookie.
- Wyatt writes that another injury for QB Marcus Mariota this year would not be helpful for his future, as he’s playing out his fifth-year option without a long-term deal this year in part because of questions about his ability to stay healthy
- Wyatt mentions that free-agent addition QB Ryan Tannehill, who has health questions of his own, looked capable during OTA’s.
- Wyatt hasn’t seen undrafted free agent RB Alex Barnes stand out with limited opportunities during OTA’s, and Barnes will need to impress during those limited opportunities in training camp to make the roster, per Wyatt.