Broncos CB Chris Harris was the subject of numerous trade rumors leading up to the deadline on Tuesday. However, it wasn’t because Harris was trying to force his way out despite some tense moments this offseason while pushing for a new contract. Harris will be a free agent at the end of this season but says he’s content to be in Denver for now.
“I’m definitely happy,” Harris said via Mike Klis of KUSA. “Now, I can just play and get this behind me and focus on finishing strong the rest of the year. Try and get some wins.”
- Broncos GM John Elway said Denver took calls on Harris but didn’t get what they were looking for in terms of compensation. (James Palmer)
- Broncos HC Vic Fangio said he would be happy if Denver could agree to a new deal with Harris following the season: “He’s a versatile player, he’s smart, he can cover — he’s what you want in a DB.” (Nicki Jhabvala)
- Elway added second-round rookie QB Drew Lock is not yet ready “physically” after being placed on injured reserve earlier this season. (Jhabvala)
- Elway said the target for Lock’s return is Week 11 before Denver’s game against the Vikings.
- Fangio told reporters Broncos OT Ja’Wuan James had a “50-50” chance to play this week, while TE Jeff Heuerman had less than that. (Ryan O’Halloran)
- Per the Athletic’s Daniel Popper, Chargers HC Anthony Lynn said he fired OC Ken Whisenhunt because the offense wasn’t working: “There was no flow. There was no rhythm.”
- Lynn added it was a hard decision to make: “That was not an easy decision. But I feel like that was a change that definitely needed to be made.” (Mike DiGiovanna)
- Lynn mentioned Chargers S Derwin James wouldn’t start practicing this week and it might be “some time” before he’s ready to return from injured reserve with his foot injury. (Popper)
- Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer writes that despite reports to the contrary, the Chiefs weren’t interested in Jets RB Le’Veon Bell at the deadline.
- However, the Athletic’s Connor Hughes writes the Chiefs briefly considered meeting New York’s asking price of a first-round pick for Bell, but their overall lack of picks and Bell’s 2020 contract figure made it a bad fit.
- Ian Rapoport points out that Raiders C Rodney Hudson (ankle) is not expected to be placed on injured reserve but will miss an extended period of time.
- Per Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press, Raiders HC Jon Gruden says G Richie Incognito will shift to center if either Hudson or Andre James can’t play Sunday.
- Raiders signed DT Terrell McClain. (NFLTR)
- Raiders waived LB Dakota Allen, DE Kasim Edebali and DT Corey Liuget.