- Rich Campbell of the Chicago Tribune notes that the tryout kickers at the Bears’ rookie minicamp went 6-for-8 on 42-yard field goal attempts on Day 2 of, which was a big improvement from Friday’s practice in which they were just 2-for-8.
- Campbell adds that Elliott Fry, who was the standout kicker on Friday, was back to ordinary Saturday.
- Saturday’s standout, according to Campbell, was Purdue K Spencer Evans, who got off to a “really, really bad start” on Friday.
- Giants HC Pat Shurmur said of rookie S Corey Ballentine, who was shot shortly after being drafted: “Corey Ballentine was the victim of a crime. It was so unfortunate what happened to him. Could happen to anyone. We’re here for him. Thoughts and prayers. He was the victim of a crime. We want him to get full closure.” (Matt Lombardo)
- Regarding first-round QB Daniel Jones, Shurmur said: “Listen, if you’re in this game long enough, you’re in this arena, you get cheered and you get booed. And he’s smart enough to know how to handle that type of stuff and do what he can to help us win football games.” (Kimberly A. Martin)
- Shurmur said Saturday that S Jacob Thieneman and OLB Nate Harvey will be out for a while after sustaining non-contact knee injuries that could require surgery. (Art Stapleton)
- Art Stapleton mentions that Idaho QB Matthew Linehan is one of three quarterbacks trying out at Giants’ rookie minicamp.
- Linehan is the son of former Cowboys OC and Rams HC Scott Linehan.
- Former Patriots WR Cody Hollister is also attending the Giants’ rookie minicamp on a tryout basis. (Art Stapleton)
Packers first-round DE Rashan Gary explained that he wore a shoulder brace during his final season at Michigan, and after speaking with Green Bay’s medical staff, they felt it was best for him to continue doing so.
“Yeah, when I got hurt at Michigan, I came back, and I wore the brace,” Gary said, via Rob Demovsky of ESPN. “I’m comfortable with it, wearing it. Me and the trainers decided just to wear it. I feel comfortable playing with it, so I’m rocking it.”
Packers HC Matt LaFleur added that it was just a “precautionary” measure.
“I’ll probably get more into that with those guys as we move forward,” LaFleur said. “I think it’s just totally precautionary.”