The Bears didn’t beat the Packers on Sunday, falling 24-14 and seeing their record drop to 3-3. But the coaching staff left the game with a lot of positives about the progression of first-round QB Justin Fields since his disastrous first start.
“(Fields is) one of the best I’ve coached at accepting positive criticism, if that makes any sense, learning experiences,” Bears QB coach John DeFilippo said via the Athletic’s Adam Jahns. “And we’ll be better next week. That’s our goal every week. Better tomorrow. Be better next week. Be better two weeks from now. And I thought we were better. There were some plays (Sunday against the Packers) that I’m sure he thinks he should have made. We should have made for him. But there were a lot of positive plays for him in that game.”
- NFL Media’s Tom Pelissero reports the Bears worked out LS Mitch Fraboni.
- Lions HC Dan Campbell said OT Taylor Decker isn’t ready to return yet: “Until he mentally feels like it’s something he can do, something that he feels comfortable with, that he knows he can perform and play at a high level, then it’s not worth it. … We’ll see where it goes” (Dave Birkett)
- The Packers worked out LB Aaron Adeoye, DL Auzoyah Alufohai and TE Nick Eubanks. Adeoye was signed to the practice squad. (Aaron Wilson)
- Vikings GM Rick Spielman said he expects CB Patrick Peterson to be healthy by the time they play the Packers in Week 11. (Arif Hasan)
- Spielman stood by K Greg Joseph despite the miss in Sunday’s game: “He’s a very talented guy with a strong leg.” (Hasan)
- Spielman mentioned QB Kirk Cousins‘ contract isn’t a concern right now and something they’ve already done some planning for: “We already looked at that 2 years ago. We already looked at that this offseason. … We do have some challenges coming up next year. We thought we had some challenges this year, but we were able to fill a lot of holes.” (Ben Goessling)
- Spielman added he doesn’t know how much they will add at the trade deadline: “We’ll monitor everything like we always do … It’s not — I don’t want to call it like a fantasy football thing. You have cap ramifications; how do contracts fit, and how does that affect your cap?” (Goessling)
- Spielman said he doesn’t regret signing Peterson despite his injury and he believes in CB Cameron Dantzler: “Peterson, he’s never been hurt his entire career. But that’s why we kept six corners. Dantzler’s going to get his opportunity to step up and play again.” (Goessling)
- Spielman didn’t want to address his future and if he’s on the hot seat this season: “I’m not going to talk about any of the conversations between me and the Wilf family. That’s between me and the Wilfs. But no, I have no concerns.” (Goessling)