Home Broncos NFL Notes: Broncos, Jets, Lions, Rams & Ravens
- Jamison Hensley of ESPN expects the Broncos to use the franchise tag on OLB Von Miller if they cannot finalize a contract extension with him this offseason.
- While it will cost Denver $14 million to use the franchise tag on Miller, the Broncos could free up nearly $38 million in cap space if they cut QB Peyton Manning, LB DeMarcus Ware and OT Ryan Clady.
- Hensley notes that releasing Ware along could clear $10 million in cap space for the Broncos.
- Rich Cimini of ESPN expects the Jets to re-sign QB Ryan Fitzpatrick with a three- or four-year contract between $8 million and $10 million per year, with at least $12 million in guarantees.
- According to Cimini, “all expectations” are for the Jets to use the franchise tag DL Muhammad Wilkerson, which will cost New York close to $16 million for one season.
- Cimini wouldn’t be shocked to see the Jets use Wilkerson as trade bait in a tag-and-trade scenario.
- Cimini mentions DT Damon Harrison as another player the Jets must re-sign this offseason.
- Jets LB Demario Davis is not expected to return to New York, considering that they’ve already opened extension discussions with LB Erin Henderson.
- In addition, Cimini does not see LB Calvin Pace or RB Chris Ivory returning for 2016, while RB Bilal Powell could be re-signed at a cheaper cost than Ivory.
- Mike Rothstein of ESPN does not envision the Lions pursuing impending free agent RB Chris Ivory because of his price tag, and could instead see them using that money on the offensive line, defensive line, secondary, linebacker or a wide receiver.
- Rothstein can only see Detroit adding a veteran running back if they let go of RB Joique Bell.
- While the Lions could pursue a center to replace Travis Swanson, Rothstein views offensive tackle, defensive tackle, safety, linebacker, receiver and the cornerback position as larger priorities to address. Regardless, Rothstein is not ready to dismiss Swanson just yet.
- Rothstein would not be surprised to see the Lions re-sign each impending free agents in DE Jason Jones, DT Haloti Ngata, DT Tyrunn Walker, OLB Tahir Whitehead, S Isa Abdul-Quddus and SS James Ihedigbo, but could see at least three of these players depart to free agency.
- According to Nick Wagoner of ESPN, it does not appear imminent for the Rams to re-sign any impending free agents at this point in time.
- However, Wagoner expects negotiations with CB Janoris Jenkins to take place during the three-day negotiating period prior to opening of free agency.
- While Jamison Hensley gets the sense that the Ravens will refrain from trading down from the No. 6 overall pick, he could see quarterback-needy teams making a push to acquire Memphis’ Paxton Lynch or even North Dakota State’s Carson Wentz at sixth overall.
- Hensley does not expect impending free agent OLB Courtney Upshaw to command a large contract on the open market. Hensley adds that the Ravens still value him enough to retain him.
- Hensley does not believe the Ravens will use their No. 6 overall pick on Ole Miss WR Laquon Treadwell after they selected WR Breshad Perriman in the first round last year.