Veteran DE DeMarcus Ware said the Broncos, Rams, and Cowboys offered him contracts but admitted that his decision to retire was about his “quality of life” after football.
“You start thinking about your quality of life,” said Ware, via Nicki Jhabvala of The Denver Post. “You still have the desire to get out there and play and compete and win championships. But my body was talking to me.”
- New Haven FB/LB Tyler Condit worked out for Giants on Thursday. (Aaron Wilson)
- Alabama CB Bradley Sylve is working out for the Bills on Friday. (Aaron Wilson)
- Auburn DB Rudy Ford said he has scheduled pre-draft visits with the Raiders and Cardinals. (Alex Marvez)
- Lake Erie College LS Anthony Kukwa worked out for the Buccaneers. (Greg Auman)
- UCF punter Caleb Houston and UCF long-snapper Gage Marsil will take part in the Buccaneers’ local prospects day. (Greg Auman)
- Mary Kay Cabot believes Browns HC Hue Jackson deserves a “free pass” for the 2017 season given that the franchise is just one season removed from a roster overhaul.
- Cabot expects the Browns to draft a quarterback in the first or second round of this year’s draft with North Carolina’s Mitch Trubisky, Clemson’s Deshaun Watson or Texas Tech’s Patrick Mahomes being their options. However, Cabot is told by “several” NFL scouts that 2018 prospects like Wyoming’s Josh Allen are better than any of the QBs from this year’s class, with one scout calling Allen, “a once in every 10 years talent.’’
- Cabot reports that the Browns are interested in possibly trading for Bengals QB A.J. McCarron because he is familiar with Cleveland’s offensive scheme, enjoys playing for Jackson and has demonstrated that he can win in the NFL.
- If the Browns are unable to trade QB Brock Osweiler, Cabot could see him competing for a starting role. In the end, Cabot thinks the Browns will try to trade him on draft day.
Giants DE Owa Odighizuwa seemed to imply he was retiring from the NFL earlier in the week, but team president told reporters on Thursday that he doesn’t think that’s the case.
“I don’t think so,” Mara said of Odighizuwa possibly retiring, via James Kratch of NJ.com.
“I spoke to him, but I’d rather not comment on that,” Mara said. “He’s still on the team, yes, but I’d rather not comment on it.“