Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk writes that the real question about Jon Gruden returning to the NFL and possibly taking a job with the Eagles, is whether Philadelphia wants him. According to Florio, the Eagles don’t.
Florio mentions that Eagles V.P. of football operations Howie Roseman will try to keep the wrong guy out by not hiring a coach who would try to take over, much like Chip Kelly did last year.
With this in mind, Florio believes it’s the main reason why Roseman and the Eagles are gravitating toward up-and-coming assistant coaches, who are unlikely to make a power play.
- Patriots OC Josh McDaniels will not interview for head-coaching jobs this weekend, despite interest from a number of teams.
- McDaniels is reportedly focused on the their upcoming game.
- ESPN’s Adam Caplan reports “at least two teams” have interest in former 49ers coach Jim Tomsula.
- Albert Breer wouldn’t discount the Tom Gamble connection with Chip Kelly, who recently met with the 49ers regarding their head-coaching job.
- Seth Walder of the New York Daily News reports that Falcons special teams coordinator Keith Armstrong is expected to be hired as the Jets’ new special teams coordinator.