- Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press writes that RB Matt Asiata‘s chances of making the active roster will ultimately come down to the health of RBs Ameer Abdullah, Theo Riddick, Zach Zenner and Dwayne Washington.
- Birkett expects DTs Ego Ferguson, Akeem Spence, Jordan Hill and sixth-round Jeremiah Ledbetter to compete for rotational roles on the defensive line.
- As for the competition at offensive tackle, Birkett says veteran Tony Hills will have to beat out Corey Robinson, Cyrus Kouandjio or Cornelius Lucas for a spot on the active roster. Birkett adds that Hills’ chances greatly increase if Robinson (foot) starts the season on the physically unable to perform list.
- While John McClain of Houston Chronicle considers RB Akeem Hunt to the Texans best kickoff returner on the team, he says there is “no guarantee” he makes the active roster due to the number of running backs they have on their roster.
- McClain considers former first-round pick Will Fuller to be the team’s best punt return, but the Texans’ coaching staff would prefer him to focus on improving as a receiver.
- According to McClain, an ideal option for Houston would be for RB Tyler Ervin to improve as both a kirk and punt returner this summer. McClain adds that Ervin has been impressive this offseason and could secure a role as the team’s third-down back.
- Jim Wyatt of the TitansOneline.com mentions that seventh-round OLB Josh Carraway held up well against LT Taylor Lewan in minicamp, but he still has to prove himself during training camp.
- According to Wyatt, TE Jace Amaro must “establish” himself during training camp to secure a roster spot this summer.
- Wyatt believes it’s possible the Titans will keep as many as four tight ends, but admits they may only go with three at the position with Delanie Walker, Jonnu Smith, and Phillip Supernaw being the three most likely candidates to be on their active roster.
- Even so, Wyatt says the coaching staff likes Jerome Cunningham.
- At the receiver position, Wyatt expects the competition to come down to Tajae Sharpe, Eric Weems, Harry Douglas, and Tre McBride.