Bengals director of player personnel Duke Tobin acknowledged the team has done its fair share of work on the presumptive No. 1 pick, LSU QB Joe Burrow. However, Tobin says it’s not necessarily a foregone conclusion that QB Andy Dalton won’t be in Cincinnati in 2020, even if it means they draft Burrow and sit him for a year.
“It all depends. what’s best for the team,” Tobin said via Geoff Hobson of the team website. “We want to be fair to Andy. He’s been great for us. But no decision has been made. He’s under contract for next year and he’s a valuable NFL football player and he’s incredibly valuable to us for what he’s done over the years. It’ll be a process as we go through that. We’ll see what opportunities come up. We’ll see where our evaluations lie and where the organization feels in the next few months is the best way to go forward at that position, other positions as well.”
- Per the Cincinnati Enquirer’s Tyler Dragon, Tobin confirmed the team wants to keep WR A.J. Green in 2020: “We are going to talk to him. All options are on the table. I don’t have anything to announce. But he’s a guy that we plan on having next year. Hopefully we will be able to get something done.”
- Anthony Treash of Pro Football Focus lists Chiefs CB Kendall Fuller as a potential free-agent target for the Bengals.
- According to ESPN’s Field Yates, the Browns won’t retain QB coach Ryan Lindley, TE coach John Lilly, assistant DL coach John Parella, defensive quality control coaches Deuce Schwartz and Alonso Escalante, offensive QC coach Tyler Tettelton, and offensive assistants Jody Wright and Jim Dray.
- Anthony Treash of Pro Football Focus lists Titans OT Jack Conklin as a potential free-agent target for the Browns.
- Browns WR Jarvis Landry confirmed he played through the entire 2019 season with his hip injury, saying he could have had 1,500 yards instead of the 1,174 he led the team with if he was 100 percent. (Nick Shook)
- Landry added he was “out of the deep water” and focused on his rehab for 2020.
- Per the Athletic’s Jeff Zrebiec, Ravens G Marshal Yanda has not yet made a decision on his future. Yanda is playing in the Pro Bowl this weekend: “I don’t know yet. We’ll kind of figure all that out. I’m just enjoying this week and enjoying the time with the guys and the family members. Don’t really know yet. We’ll see.”
- Anthony Treash of Pro Football Focus lists Buccaneers LB Shaquil Barrett as a potential free-agent target for the Ravens.
The last time the Steelers used the franchise tag, it didn’t go well for the team. Pittsburgh paid $14.5 million in cap space for RB Le’Veon Bell to sit out the entire season. However, Steelers owner Art Rooney II said they won’t let that negative experience stop them from using the tag in the future, including potentially this offseason on LB Bud Dupree.
“I don’t think that affects the way we think about franchise tags or anything at this point,” Rooney said via Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “We had one, I’ll call it unusual experience, and I think it was that — an unusual experience.”