Broncos RB Melvin Gordon says they have to find a way to build off of their Week 4 win over the Jets.
“We’ve just got to go off momentum and build off our momentum. They do a great job of taking out the best player. They’re a great defense, bend don’t break sort of speak. I’ve been watching them very closely,” Gordon said, via Troy Renck. “James White is one of my close friends, so I’ve paid a lot of attention to the Patriots. They’ve got a great defense and do a good job of knocking the ball out, so if they give us an opportunity, we’ve got to make the best of it because they probably won’t give many.”
Gordon believes fellow RB Phillip Lindsay returning from injured reserve will help their offense based on the speed he adds to their backfield.
“We both bring different things to the table. Obviously, Phil wasn’t playing so I don’t think teams will have enough film to game plan against that. We’ll really be able to see how that goes for us and I hope it goes well. We bring different elements, and Phil’s speed is top class, so that’s something they’ll have to deal with,” Gordon said. “I’m pretty well balanced myself, so when you put both of us out there you’ve got to pick and choose who you want to stop. It’s just another playmaker out there that can help us win so I’m excited to see how it goes, hopefully it goes well, and we can go out there and make plays and help the Broncos win.”
- KUSA’s Mike Klis says Broncos QB Drew Lock is progressing well from his shoulder injury and has been throwing the past two days.
- Broncos HC Vic Fangio said Lock will practice on a limited basis this week: “We’ll see if we can build it from there.” (Kyle Newman)
- If Lock can’t go this week, QB Brett Rypien would make another start: “I understand my role. This is Drew Lock’s team. He’s been the leader of this franchise for past year. … I have to do what I can to help him and help this team win. If that’s me playing this week and helping our team win this week that’s all I’m focused on.” (Klis)
- Broncos TE Noah Fant will not practice Wednesday and likely won’t play either, per Fangio: “He has not ruled out, but he’s probably a longshot.” (Troy Renck)
- Fangio also ruled out second-round WR KJ Hamler with his hamstring injury and described CB A.J. Bouye as a longshot to play as well. (Renck)
- Broncos OLB Von Miller said if he feels good enough to play, he’ll return later this season even if Denver is out of the playoff picture: “I want to go to playoffs, and go to Super Bowl. At this point, if I am healthy enough to play, I will play. If it’s hurting, I won’t play. Wherever my body is, it doesn’t matter if we’re going to playoffs. If healthy enough, I will play.” (Renck)
- The Broncos are hosting DB Chris Cooper for a visit this week. (Albert Breer)
- According to the Athletic’s Jeff Duncan, the NFL is considering moving the Saints and Chargers’ Monday night game to Indianapolis if the Saints have to evacuate there due to Hurricane Delta.
- Per NFL Media’s James Palmer, Chiefs HC Andy Reid said DT Chris Jones (groin) is day by day and they’ll see how he feels.
- Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes talked and hugged Patriots CB Stephon Gilmore after the game which drew attention after Gilmore tested positive for COVID-19. Mahomes said he was trying to be sportsmanlike and fell into old habits: “You just have to trust in the protocols and the process in place. It was a little bit of a mental lapse.” (Nate Taylor)