Browns HC Hue Jackson told reporters on Friday that he plans to wait until next week to announce a starting quarterback, as he gave the players the weekend off and wants to tell them first.
“Yeah I think until I’m able to talk to the players will I officially say where I am with that,” Jackson said, via NFL.com. “I’ve given the players the weekend off obviously, so I’m going to take my time because I have some time and I’m going to get an opportunity to meet with them here Monday morning and kind of go from there.
“[U]ntil I am able to talk to the players … I think we’re all gonna know soon enough on Monday,” Jackson added. “We don’t play for 10 days. As I said, I wanted to really watch tape and talk to the staff and talk to John and then make a decision from there. I think you guys all feel good where things are headed. Let’s just wait and see and go from there.”
However, every indication is that the Browns will turn the starting job over to Baker Mayfield, who led them to an impressive comeback win last night.
- The Dolphins tried out tight ends Nick O’Leary, Billy Brown and Austin Traylor on Wednesday. (Howard Balzer)
- Miami has S Reshad Jones (shoulder) listed as questionable for Week 3’s game.
- Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that Patriots TE Rob Gronkowski‘s ankle injury is “nothing to worry about.”
- Gronkowski put in a limited practice on Thursday and Rapoport explains that he just wanted to take it easy on his ankle as a precautionary measure.
- The Patriots officially ruled out TE Jacob Hollister (Chest) for Week’s game and list S Patrick Chung (Concussion) and DL Trey Flowers (Concussion) as doubtful.
- New England has LT Marcus Cannon (Calf), DB Keion Crossen (Hamstring), DB Nate Ebner (Hip), WR Josh Gordon (Hamstring) and CB Eric Rowe (Groin) all as being questionable.
- Regarding the $200,000 the team received a violation of the coach-to-player communication, Ravens HC John Harbaugh explained: “I don’t think you get too worked up about it. [The Ravens’ audio technology and equipment guys] thought the rule was a certain way. They’ve been doing it that way for years.” (Jamison Hensley)
- The Baltimore Ravens officially ruled out CB Anthony Averett (hamstring), DT Willie Henry (Hernia) and TE Hayden Hurst (foot) for Week 3’s game against the Broncos.
- The Ravens have LB C.J. Mosley (knee), LB Matthew Judon (hamstring), OT Ronnie Stanley (elbow) and DT Michael Pierce (foot) all listed as questionable.