Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald breaks down the Dolphins’ offensive roster by position in terms of which players are locks and those who will be competing for roster spots this summer.
- Jackson doesn’t rule out the possibility of David Fales beating out Brock Osweiler for the backup quarterback job this summer.
- At tight end, Jackson says Miami will likely keep four this summer and A.J. Derby, Gavin Escobar, MarQueis Gray, and Thomas Duarte will likely compete for two roster spots.
- According to Jackson, Leonte Carroo will have to hope Miami keeps six receivers on their 53-man roster based on what he’s shown in his first two years with the team. Carroo joins Isaiah Ford, Malcolm Lewis, Drew Morgan, Francis Owusu and Rashawn Scott as players competing for spots this summer.
- As for the Dolphins’ offensive line, Jackson has Laremy Tunsil, Ja’Wuan James, Daniel Kilgore, Josh Sitton, and Jesse Davis as the five locks to make the team with Sam Young and Ted Larsen in good position to secure jobs as well. This means that Jake Brendel, Isaac Asiata, Sean Hickey, Zach Sterup, Eric Smith, Roebbens Joseph, David Steinmetz, and Connor Hilland could all be competing for two spots.
- Former Florida and Notre Dame QB Malik Zaire is one of 38 players invited to the Jaguars’ rookie minicamp next weekend on a tryout basis. (Mark Long)
Jets CEO Christopher Johnson said Tuesday that the decision to draft QB Sam Darnold in the first round will be the moment people look back on as the turning point for the franchise.
“I think people are going to look back — I honestly think they’re going to look back 20 years from now and say this is the moment the Jets shifted into a new year, that they became a great team,” Johnson said, via Rich Cimini of ESPN.
“I think we’ve got a real future with this kid and he’s not even 21 yet,” Johnson added. “We might have a long time with this young man. I hope so because right now I really think he’s our future.”
- Neil Stratton reports that the Jets are hiring Packers college scout Alonzo Dotson in an undetermined role.