Albert Breer of NFL Media has a great article up taking a look at the notable head-coaching candidates and where they could end up. Breer also provides the latest in regards buzz surrounding each candidate.
Here are some notes from his article.
Bears OC Adam Gase
- Breer reports that Gase will be atop a number of team’s list this offseason, due to his experience working with quarterbacks.
- Breer points out that if Peyton Manning were to retire and take a position with a team like the Browns, Gase could be their top candidate.
- Other options could include the Dolphins and Lions, according to Breer.
Bengals OC Hue Jackson
- Breer mentions that Jackson has ties to the Bay Area and Dolphins VP Mike Tannenbaum.
- Besides the 49ers and Dolphins, Breer believe the Titans could also be an option for Jackson.
Notre Dame HC Brian Kelly
- Breer reports that Kelly is believed to have interest in an NFL job. However, there are some concerns about Kelly and his hard-nosed, domineering style.
- According to Breer, the Giants could have some interest along with the Eagles and 49ers.
Patriots OC Josh McDaniels
- Breer mentions that McDaniels is likely to be selective in terms of head-coaching opportunities.
- Another aspect to consider is that Breer believes McDaniels will want to pair himself with the right personnel man and the right owner.
- Breer lists the Giants, Titans and Browns as teams to watch for McDaniels.
Alabama HC Nick Saban
- According to Breer, it’s no secret that Saban has felt a bit “smothered” at times in Tuscaloosa.
- Breer mentions that Giants’ owners have long been fond of Saban, and the Colts could offer him both organizational control and prospect of working with Andrew Luck.
Northwestern HC Pat Fitzgerald
- Breer mentions that Fitzgerald is a “Chicago guy” which has led some to believe he would only leave his alma mater for the the Bears’ job.
- Potential fits for him could be the Colts, Lions and Browns, according to Breer.
Jaguars assistant HC Doug Marrone
- Breer mentions that if the Saints move on from Sean Payton, Marrone would likely be at the top of their list in terms of replacements.
- Jaguars director of player personnel Chris Polian is considered a GM candidate this offseason, so if he were to land a job, there’s a chance he could bring Marrone with him.
- Other possibilities include the Lions and Browns, according to Breer.
Potential fits for other candidates:
- Chip Kelly: Titans, Dolphins and 49ers.
- Lions DC Teryl Austin: Eagles, Saints and Chargers.
- Seahawks DC Darrell Bevell: Lions, Browns and Titans.
- Panthers DC Sean McDermott: Eagles, Saints, and 49ers.
- UCLA HC Jim Mora: Chargers, 49ers, and Dolphins.
- Falcons OC Kyle Shanhan: Colts, Titans, and Dolphins.
- Stanford HC David Shaw: 49ers, Giants, and Eagles.
- Panthers OC Mike Shula: Titans, Dolphins, and Eagles.