ESPN’s Adam Schefter confirmed on 97.5 The Fanatic in Philadelphia that Carson Wentz “was done” with the organization, similarly to Texans QB DeShaun Watson. Schefter mentions that former HC Doug Pederson and several others around the team were a “big part” of his desire to leave.
“This was DeShaun Watson without the headlines. He didnt want to be (in Philly). He was done. Doug Pederson was a big part of it but a lot other people were apart of it,” said Schefter.
Schefter indicated that trade discussions involving Wentz began to ramp up after Matthew Stafford was dealt to the Rams. Additionally, Eagles GM Howie Roseman sat on the Colts’ “final offer” for about a week, which may have been the only official offer for Wentz.
“The talks heated up the day after Mathew Stafford was traded [from] Detroit,” Schefter said. “I dont think anyone but Indianapolis made an offer.”
- Mike Kaye takes a look at five free-agent options who have connections to new Eagles’ HC Nick Sirianni and his staff, including former Eagles’ TE Trey Burton, QB Tyrod Taylor, S Malik Hooker, WR Josh Reynolds, and RB Marlon Mack.
- Kaye adds that Taylor would be a strong veteran presence to help bring QB Jalen Hurts along as a full-time starter during his sophomore campaign.
- Dan Duggan of The Athletic notes that Giants’ DL Leonard Williams had a career-high 11.5 sacks last season, which could lead to the team franchise tagging him a second time should they find him unwilling to come to terms on a new contract.
- Ralph Vacchiano lists WR Kenny Golladay, WR Curtis Samuel, WR Corey Davis, TE Jonnu Smith, LB Bud Dupree, T Daryl Williams, OL Matt Feiler, DT Kawann Short, CB Brian Poole, and LB Jordan Jenkins as potential free-agent additions for the Giants this offseason.
- Regarding Golladay, Vacchiano reports that there are a lot of people around the NFL who believe the Giants will be very interested in him this offseason.