49ers QB Jimmy Garoppolo was able to participate in 7-on-7 work during OTA’s for San Francisco. While that’s a promising sign for his recovery from a torn ACL last September, Garoppolo says the real test will come in training camp when the pads come on.
“I think all of that will come with time,” Garoppolo said via ESPN’s Nick Wagoner. “I’ll try to implement as many drills as I can during these 40 days or so. But, I think once the bullets start flying and everything, then we’ll really see.”
- Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer theorizes that Rams RB Todd Gurley‘s issues last season were as much mental as they were physical, as he could have lost confidence after the known condition in his knee flared up.
- Breer points to 2016 when Gurley was a more tentative runner and struggled behind a poor offensive line.
- ESPN’s Dan Graziano says it’s curious that Rams CB Marcus Peters is entering the final year of his deal under the fifth-year option without a long-term deal.
- The Rams usually prefer to do extensions early, so this could be an indication Peters isn’t in their long-term plans, per Graziano.
- According to the Seattle Times’ Bob Condotta, the Seahawks are hoping first-round DE L.J. Collier can play around 50 percent of the snaps this upcoming season.
- At the end of minicamp, Condotta reports second-round WR D.K. Metcalf was still working behind Tyler Lockett, David Moore and Jaron Brown as starters in three-receiver sets. Condotta says the Seahawks plan to ease Metcalf into the offense.
- Condotta writes that second-year LB Shaquem Griffin has a battle on his hands to make the team this year, as the Seahawks’ starting outside linebackers are set with K.J. Wright and Mychal Kendricks.
- Griffin also has to compete with Austin Calitro, Barkevious Mingo, rookie Ben Burr-Kirven and Jacob Martin for the backup positions.
- Condotta mentions the Seahawks could save $4.1 million by releasing Mingo, which could work to Griffin’s favor, but Mingo also played the most special teams’ snaps of any Seattle player last year, and HC Pete Carroll has said they want to find a role for Mingo on defense.